Sunday, November 4, 2007

Hello and Goodbye...

Ok, so i can talk about embracing change, and my need for constant flux in my life..But when it hits you out of the blue are we ever really ready for it? For those of you newly reading; welcome to my blog. For my current readers, a little update. I am leaving my nest, the comfort of home and the known that I have retreated back to from time/time in my life. I have been offerred, and accepted a position in another building, located 100 miles from my home.

I did not expect this quite so quickly, I have come to learn to be careful what you wish for; in my life it seems to be if I speak it, write it, or even think about change, it happens.. With that said I am thrilled by the opportunity, sad for what I am leaving unfinished, and remorseful about leaving my elders.

For my new building, staff and elders we are about to embark on a new path. I am so very excited to be working with a great team. Your reputation for great care and outstanding compliance precedes you all. You should be very proud of what you have accomplished, and I am honored to be able to work with you as we take this building to a level of remarkability that will be a model of care, customer service and what aging should and will look like in the future. Given your expert abilities at care, we are going to transition well to the next level. As your leader on this journey I am committed to giving my heart and soul to working with you as we create the new vision of care.

For my current staff, friends, peers and elders; I am sad that our journey this time around was only a year. But what a journey, and look at what you have accomplished! The communication levels, the team work, the focus on customer satisfaction and community involvment are all off the chart successes you should be very proud of! You are all responsible for taking a facility and making it part of the community. A place that everyone recognizes for not only great care, but greatness period. When people in our area talk about our building, they talk about the environment, culture and feeling that you have all worked very hard to create for the elders whom you serve. I hope you realize how very special each of you are; and that every individual has played a role in this achievement. I am honored to have played a small role in your success, and cannot wait to see what you accomplish next. I am forever grateful for the opportunities, support and lessons I have learned working with you over the past 14 years.

As I told someone last week, no I will not be back, unless it is to live in about 35 years... and yes I would be proud to allow you to care for not only me, but any of my family. That in itself should speak volumes to the level of trust and respect that you have earned.

What a crazy week this has been...I return from a great training where ironically the focus was on the implications of change. Only to come back to a phone call first thing on Monday with a change being offered. The implications of this change? Huge for all involved.. I have spent the last 48 hours thinking about it all..planning for the future, getting a little organized and adjusting my mind to the past memories; and future possibiities..

Hello to the unknown future, and Good Bye to the comfort and known of my past... All at the eve of my 40th birthday...I apparently enjoy the drama of it all..

No comments: