Friday, September 21, 2007

I'll take the wealthy Dr. please...

The following is a personal opinion, and should not be misconstrued as the opinion of my company or profession. It is simply a reflection on a thought that revisited me today courtesy of a political discussion held with a physician; and given my attitude at the moment I felt compelled to share...Jana

Why is it that in America we feel compelled to control the income of a certain group of people? Usually that group is anyone who has more, earns more, or we perceive to be more successful then us. I am speaking to a new mind set that I have heard more then once related to the amount of money that physicians earn for their work. This mind set terrifies me...At what point did we as a society decide that our physicians should be price controlled and that given the opportunity we should be able to decide how much they earn?

I for one, want my physician to be the most successful, sought after, wealthiest person in their profession. Why? If we truly had a free competition medical market, I would envision he or she to be the best at what they do. IE: their personal success=success for my care.

Why would I want someone who was paid the same amount of money irregardless of how successful or good they were? Where is the motivation for them to provide me with outstanding care? I would envision my care to be mediocre at best.

Yes, I know care giving is an art; and it should not be about the money. I like to believe I do my job because it is my "passion and calling" however I also like the paycheck, and the benefit package that comes with it. Quite frankly, moving up the ladder into a leadership position was not only a personal draw, but also a financial one for myself and family. Is it not the same for you?

At what point do we decide that someone else makes too much money and therefore should not be able to make any more? Is this not the key component of a jealous or envy driven mind? Quite frankly I can think of many people I am envious of..I wish I had their intellect, their beauty, their charisma, their talent, their business savvy.. Simply because I covet these traits, does it make it right for me to stomp my foot and say not fair, give it up, play fair, you MUST share with me. Hmmmm. I think that lesson is called life is not fair, it never has been, and it never will be on earth..

I know we need health care reform, I know that we need to get a handle on out of control costs for insurance or people who have no coverage; but I believe stopping free market competition is wrong. It will not solve the problem, but in essence exacerbate the quality of care that we receive. Don't believe me? Check out the failing free government insurance and care programs of our European allies. Not good. They too are struggling with care issues mostly related to lack of good services being available and incredible waiting times for services to be rendered. Why? perhaps it has to do with the fact that their physicians are price controlled, and have no motivation to be more productive, or competitive...

Funny thing that competition, we act as if it is politically incorrect to view competition as a standard of American living. Yet in reality, it is the main stay of what has made our nation great and different... Competition drives you to seek success; without the drive it is a rare person who does not become complacent or lose their motivation.

Take the competition out of the medical profession and we risk losing the best, brightest and most driven caregivers. Kind of a scary thought isn't it?

No comments: