Tuesday, June 19, 2007

A Vision

So, I have been asked to post something a little less like a rant...Sorry about that, but sometimes the misrepresentation takes my breath away; and it is hard to get a positive focus back in place.

What is a vision? Is it important to have one? How do you define it? These are all questions that I have heard bantered about as we discuss leadership; changing cultures and creating new process. For me; the vision is fairly straight forward. I desire to create an environment of care that I would chose to live in vs. living alone when I am old; or in need of assistance.

Yes you are reading that correctly; I want to create an environment that people would choose to come live in; instead of staying home alone when they are elderly; or in need of care and assistance.

What does this environment look like? To me it looks like a thriving community filled with people who interact spontaneously, have meaning and purposeful relationships; and a sense of purpose for their day. It would include multiple generations, and places where I could chose to spend my day. I could find laughter, solitude, meaningful conversations; intellectual banter, and maintain the ability to learn something new. The building, setting, location would not be as important to me, as the human contact and relationships would be. However, I would prefer to have my own space, a private room; or a large shared room where I could find some quiet "me" time which I am accustomed too.

As caregivers, we often get wrapped up in the "care" portion of our job. It is the essential portion that we focus on; because it is what we are all about. However, my contention is that without an emotional, intellectual, and spiritual environment, the care will never be totally comprehensive. My vision puts the "person hood" first, and the physical care second. It is my opinion, that if we create this type of environment, our elders would "feel" better, and the care would become less of a focus and easier to accomplish. Over all health and well being would improve.

The other side of this vision, is that the environment can only be created when you have created this same culture for your employees. As an employer, we must value, respect, and give as much as we expect our employees to do for the elders we care for. It is the old adage, "you give what you receive", I believe it holds true for care environments. Have you ever performed care? It is a demanding, stressful job. If we do not recognize the worth and value of what caregivers do, how can we demand that they give worth and value to our elders? This is a hard thing to accomplish. Yet, it is the first thing that must be accomplished if we expect them to in turn give to another human being.

As an administrator I will tell you that creating this type of environment for employees is hard work. At times you feel that every good thing you do is perceived as a negative. However, I have learned that the negative comments, and statements come from individuals who by and large have never had anything positive in their lives; and have a low trust factor when you give them something or do something nice for them. It takes time and consistent positives to change a personality. Sometimes, it takes the difficult conversation of adopt change, or leave. (That conversation is one I am still working on perfecting).

Role modeling this consistent vision can be exhausting. But, when I was given the opportunity to go "away" from my building for two years and then return; I was able to recognize that "the vision" we had planted over 6 years ago was still there; and still being nurtured by the positive members of the team who had adopted it as their vision. Now, I see it coming to fruition and it gives me such a lift every day when I hear an interaction, watch a spontaneous activity occurring; and see real quality of life happening before my eyes.

We still have a long way to go; but now when I speak of vision; the team speaks it with me. They have adopted their own personal vision of what our environment should look and feel like, and by and large we are on the same path. Nothing gives me a thrill like having a front line staff member with an "idea" for bettering our environment for staff and elders. We are finally speaking the same language; and it is a language of care for the future.

Perhaps our vision and culture is why people chose our building over the prettier and newer buildings down the road. Our physical care is good, our food is good, but our culture is phenomenal; you can feel it; see it; and hear it every where you walk in our building. It is a culture of person hood and it is being grown before my eyes. How nifty is that? It is this culture that brings me back when I am confronted with negative press; or comments about long term care/nursing homes. We are creating a place that "we" all want to live in someday.

No comments: