Sunday, June 3, 2007

The Answer to the How and Why Questions...

As caregivers in nursing homes; it is inevitable that when we meet people, and they find out "what" we do for a living, we get asked, "how can you stand it"? or "why do you work there"? Some people are more polite and avoid the question, but you can see the look cross their face as they think about what it is that we do.

This discussion topic occurred to me last night as I attended a high school graduation open house. At this particular open house; there were people present that I have not spoken to since my own graduation from high school 22 years ago. Of course, the conversation always turns to "so what do you do for a living"? I used to dread this conversation; because I would feel myself getting defensive with my answer. "I work in a really good nursing home", or "I stay there because the company is a great place to work and they pay well." Those were two of my previous answers that I would use to explain my choice.

In the past 6 months I have come up with a new tactic, I ask a question in response to the inevitable question. Last night, when the comment was made regarding how they couldn't imagine working some place like a nursing home; that it must be very depressing. I stated back, "What part of what I do, would you think would be depressing"? I then explained I am just curious about public opinion, and as someone who wants to work on changing it, I am trying to discover why we think what we do about long term care and aging. The visual effect of this conversation turner is a blank look as they think about what they base their opinion on.

As you can imagine, it is hard for most to come up with where/why they have this opinion of nursing homes. As I have performed this little experiment, another truth has come forward for me; less then 1% of those whom I talk to about this; have had any contact with a nursing home environment in the past 10 years. Most people base their opinion on the "image" in their mind that has been placed there either from visiting a nursing home as a child, (over 20 years ago); or worse the media portrayal and news articles that they read.

The other truth about this tactic, is that it gets a little uncomfortable for the person whom asked the original question. I think the discomfort comes from my questioning their thought process/image development. I push the envelope further, when I tell them I absolutely love what I do. I explain that I am one of those fortunate people who has found their '"purpose". (Those of you who know me; know that I can be fairly exuberant about my work, and the goals my team/building have before us.!)


So what do you base your opinion of long term care on? When you first started in this profession, did you bring baggage of image/opinion with you as well?

Now imagine our younger staff, who get these comments and questions from their peers. I imagine it is not a great self esteem builder for them either. As leaders we need to give them the speaking points, the strength to tell their story and support them in the telling of "why" they have chosen this profession We need to help them explain "how" they can actually do this kind of work and the rewards it brings. Sounds like a great empowerment discussion for my next staff meeting....

No comments: