Monday, December 15, 2008

Momma's Got Your Back...

Have you ever had one of those moments at work where something occurs and you are rendered speechless by the audacity of the situation? I think I have seen much in the world of human behavior..however last week I encountered a situation that confirmed for me as a leader what our next generation will bring to us and the work place....
It gave me pause to think about what we have created in our effort to give our children the perfect world to live in; we have created overly confident,entitlement believing, dependent children. Ahhh..the millenniums..

Don't get me wrong, I think there is great value in self confidence, but self confidence is earned, not given as a false sense..There is value in failure of self, and learning to overcome our shortcomings, dealing with the reality of life, the pecking order of life so to speak; teaches us great things about who we are, who we can become or who we won't become. Giving your child the opportunity to fail, fall down, and then pick themselves up is one of the best life lessons we can do as parents...Yet,very few parents are able to stomach watching the reality of this. Instead, we now salve our parental angst with guilt ridden support for situations that if left to their own devices and outcomes could bring maturity and growth value beyond measure.

Hence my topic. Imagine your momma calling your boss to fight for your job; that you lost on your own volition due to attendance, attitude and work ethic. That's right, momma's got your back.

Huh..never thought of my mom as my labor negotiator or muscle..especially when I was 25 years old.

No comments: