Sunday, September 14, 2008

Reflections of Culture...

Wow...again..apologies for the time between posts..Funny how my life has taken me from having empty downtime to write and contemplate to the busy/happy life I am currently enjoying..

Today finds Jeff and I sitting in the Atlanta airport awaiting our flight home..We are returning from a fun crazy filled four days spent honeymooning in the Big Easy..Amazing, but not surprisingly we travel well and very similarily..both kind of ready to get home and gear up for the busy work week..

For the curious; he and I enjoyed way too much decadence..food, drink, music...again a huge thank you to the locals we met while in NOLA, your culture and city continues to surprise and intrigue me. We ate at three different locally known venues; one located deep in the poverty laden neighborhoods that we viewed during the Katrina footage; one in the eclectic, intellectual, artsy inspired neighborhoods around the garden district, and one in the upper french quarter that is world reknown for it's decadent and great food...None failed us-each surprised and delighted us with a culture only found in this great city...Despite the drastic differences of each venue; the service, and experience left us wanting to take it home with us...

As a side line..we spent very little time on bourbon st. If you think that is the appeal you are sadly mistaken..The true culture of New Orleans can be found outside of the street it is most famous for..The best food, the best music and the best drinks can be found in the districts, and parishes that surround the entire city. It is a culture of uniqueness that cannot be matched by any other urban U.S. city.

I reflect on the cultural uniqueness as something that inspires my work in long term care..It is my vision of what we should be developing as we evolve into the world of caring for the next generations..As a leader of care; I need to be the director and motivator of not only culture change but also culture recognition. As I sat down to brunch today at a white clothed table, eating an incredible 3 course brunch; the thought occurred to me that some of my elders would enjoy such a meal; and others; would have found comfort sitting at the rickety kitchen table, eating green beans and fried chicken served on 30 year old kitchen ware. It is such differences that make our job challenging to meet the coming generational needs..

I shared with Jeff my thoughts; and we concurred that the successful facilities of the future would be like small cities..with very different neighborhoods; each meeting the needs of those who live there short term; or permanently...the ideal...ah yes..something to think about and work toward..

No comments: