Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The Gift of Potential.. A Thank You on Bosses Day..!

As a leader, I think the best gift I have ever been given is having someone who leads me; recognize my potential. Not only was the potential recognized, it was developed through opportunities, education, and some well deserved kicks in the seat of my pants when needed. Now, as I reflect on my relationship with my own "boss" whom I view as a mentor and role model, I find myself thinking about what she could possibly have recognized in me close to 8 years ago when I was first given the opportunity to become a leader.

It is an interesting self retrospective; I have undergone dramatic personal growth during the past 8 years; most who know me view the change as occurring in the past 18 months. The reality is that once I understood that it was okay to have ideas; and then to try implementing those ideas, I found confidence in both the success and the failures. A recognition of self potential was the gift she gave me and I now recognize this for what a true gift it is.

So on bosses day, I give a sincere thank you to my boss, mentor and leader; for recognizing my potential and then giving me the tools and opportunity to recognize it for myself to develop new skills and confidence.

I only hope that as I develop my own leadership style and see ideas come to fruition; that I too can help develop the potential of those I lead. There is no greater gift to be given; or perhaps receive as a leader....

No comments: