Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Little Moments...

Today has been one of those great days as an Administrator. Everywhere I went in my building, I observed evidence of person centered care in action. It is the simple things like today that make me desire to create this environment for all elders. As you read, I hope I can convey the warm feelings I have had today about our calling to this profession and I hope it inspires you on your journey into culture change.

I started the day being greeted by one of our newer elders who has joined our community and has quickly become an icon. He is one of our resident volunteers, and he has a job; yes a job. I know, there are laws about putting resident's to work; and for some of you the fear of the regulations, keep you from giving residents a job to do. He loves it. His job has given him a purpose to get up every morning, and he does it with panache. He sells stuff; and I bet if he had a car to sell; he could convince you to buy it. His office, is the front lobby, and he currently is selling items to raise money for the American Cancer Society. He has raised over 500.00 dollars by selling cookies, wood crafts, and t-shirts over the past three weeks. He does his own announcements, and everyone in the building looks forward to his detailed advertising lingo.

My next stop was the beauty shop, where my ladies were commenting on their hairdo's for tomorrows senior prom; and what they were wearing. I then encountered the social service director who informed we her presence was requested on the shopping trip next week; because she had promised a resident coney island, if she would leave her room and go. Both are occurring next week; in fact this particular elder, found a cohort in the dining room during breakfast, and informed the social worker that they both were going, and she was buying them both lunch.

I then overheard a phone call from a special resident who I have bonded with; she was hospitalized this week, and she called to tell us she wants her hearing aides and glasses because apparently they are going to keep her; but to tell the office gals to keep her purse hidden, because she does not trust them with it there. My admissions director was off to do her marketing visits, which today consisted of taking the glasses and hearing aides; along with a special bear and a get well card from me to this resident telling her to not give the nurses to much trouble, only enough to keep them on their toes. Per my director, when she read this she got a good chuckle, and told the lab person, "look, even the boss lady wants me cut loose".

I needed a break in the late morning to stretch my legs, and walked out onto the patio. The sight was so incredibly calming and uplifting. I had three residents digging in the flower pots planting tomatoes, two planting flowers; one sitting in the sun, getting her face tan, and two visiting with their families. As I walked about checking out the flowers I was given a directive to get a bigger garden box, and one that was higher so they could work in it better; from the two ladies planting tomatoes; and one asked me if we could grow our own yellow beans for the dining room; they are her favorite. The garden, has been tended under the watchful creative eye of an activity aide who has taken it under her wing, and the elders who join her daily love every moment they are together.

At lunch, as I toured the dining rooms I overheard a restorative aide using a neat technique to get a resident to try her food, " the kitchen called and you are the official temperature tester, can you tell me if this is the right temperature"? next he asked now what about this,how does it taste, too sweet or just right"? His promise to my elders, is to not have weight loss on his watch.

All of this and lunch wasn't even done yet. I then fielded a phone call from someone who is writing an article about staff satisfaction, and resident satisfaction, and what approaches do we use to gain both. I was fairly geeked about our building at that point, and after I had told this young lady everything we have done; I finally summarized it with this, creating a culture of person hood hinges on real meaningful relationships between staff, staff and residents, and staff and families.

As a leader we must develop, role model and live these real relationships 24/7 if we expect our staff to follow; a simple statement with a large amount of personal stuff invested.
But isn't the outcome worth the effort, and personal pain along the way? After all; if I get to be 80 plus, and I am in the hospital, I hope there is someone I can call on to get me my things, to trust my purse with, and to bring me a message of real caring. If I get dementia I hope someone encourages me to keep trying; and I hope that if I need a friend, someone will seek me out to do something fun with like a personal shopping trip and lunch.

It is the little moments that give us hope, and guide us on this journey. It is the spontaneous interactions between staff, residents and families that I hear, see and feel every day. It is the creation of a culture of community and person that inspires. Find these examples in your day, and use them as your energy on a journey to creating the culture of care your elders deserve.

No comments: