Saturday, April 21, 2007

Why the Zimmers intrigue me...

So did you check out the video? I hope so. Why do I love this? As someone who works with elders every day, I see this as an opportunity to demonstrate to the world that simply because of advanced age, with a decline in "beauty and ability", we are all still human adults who can have fun, and be joyous. What the Zimmers have done is thumb their nose at the social views of what "old people" should be doing, or how they should be acting. Which one of us secretly wouldn't love to be doing what they just did at 90? I think this is yet another example of how our social norms about aging are going to become extinct and we are going to be seeing this video and other types of media that will question our beliefs and opinions of aging. Do not patronize me, do not label me, do not categorize me simply because I am older then you...

No comments: